Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Memories

New Year's celebrations are not something I recall happening in our family. In years past, I did my fair share of partying in celebration of the dawn of a new year, but now I would just as soon be at home and out of the way of crazies!

One "tradition" I do remember is having black-eyed peas as part of our New Year's Day meal. Neither my sister nor I cared for them, but Daddy insisted that we eat a spoonful for good luck throughout the year!

The year after Daddy passed away, my sister and I were visiting Mama in Oklahoma. Our nieces and nephews were going to parties and invited us to join them. I don't remember what my sister did, but I wasn't keen on going to parties and leaving Mama home alone. We ended up running around town trying to find mix to make piƱa coladas (remember the song?) and stayed home and played dominoes with the "old folks"!


Image courtesy of The Graphics Fairy.


© 2011 Denise Spurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment